POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking of moving to something comercial : Re: Thinking of moving to something comercial Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking of moving to something comercial
From: John D  Gwinner
Date: 29 May 2005 18:20:45
Message: <429a403d$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the ideas folks

"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote in
message news:429a2867@news.povray.org...

> And thus, Silo can give you powerful modelling experience, and POV-Ray
> powerful rendering experience. For things like Compositing or Animation,
> I'd
> have to admit that Maya/3DS-Max/Cinema4D might be better.

Trial versions are a good idea.

I forgot to say what I want to use it for - mainly for 'sci fi'
preproduction art direction for a movie I'm writng.  However, I do want to
do some animation for the proposal animation  I'm using Poser right now to
do animation and exporting via PoseRay, then combining with POVRay
animation.  Poser seems to export to Shade pretty well but I haven't tried
it.

I also have a scene where a tank busts through a wall, so I was looking for
something like 'blastcode' or the 3DSMax fracturable objects.  I think Max
can do that, but I haven't tried yet.  I messed around with Mechsim and it
doesn't do what I need really.

I like POVRay due to the ability to script and 'parametric' objects,
although it looks like Max will let you do that, or at least macros.  I get
the impression Max has shaders also, which would be a big plus.  I don't
particulary want to have to step up to the 'real money' rendering programs
(i.e. Renderman) to get procedural texturing.

I also can use Mimic with Lightwave more or less directly, although I
noticed that there are a couple of poser to Maya/Max export routines.  So
maybe I use Mimic ->Poser ->Max instead of Mimic->Lightwave.

I'll try some of those trial links.

        == John ==